March 4, 2019
PLANO, Texas, March 4, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- For National Snack Day today, Frito-Lay, the snack division of PepsiCo, is celebrating America's love of snacks by revealing the most common snack "profiles" across America. And, when asked the simple question "what snacks would you bring to a party?" Americans showed their snack preferences differ greatly depending on where they're from and their age.
National Snack Day is an official holiday dedicated to celebrating snacking and there's no denying that Americans love their snacks. Two thirds of consumers polled for the U.S. Snack Index purchase snacks at least once a week and nearly all purchase snacks at least once a month.
"National Snack Day is a perfect occasion for Frito-Lay to engage with consumers and see how they would define their persona when it came to the types of snacks they bring to a party," said Steven Williams, senior vice president of sales, chief commercial officer, Frito-Lay North America. "From the Daredevil Foodie snackers looking for a little spice or an unexpected flavor, to The Traditionalist who goes for the classic and timeless options – National Snack Day is a celebration of all types of snackers."
Through the U.S. Snack Index poll, consumers chose one of four profiles – Daredevil Foodie, The Traditionalist, Sweet Tooth and Last-Minute Friend.
U.S. Snack Index Key Insights
- The Traditionalist is the most common. They have classic style and prefer options like potato chips or nuts and seeds. They're also most likely to be based in New York or California, and the only area where Traditionalists weren't the most-common snackers hail from Colorado.
- The Daredevil Foodie is the second most popular profile and goes above and beyond to turn every dining experience into an adventure. One in four people describe themselves as Daredevil Foodies, and these snackers tend to be young adults and love cheesy flavors as well as bold, spicy flavors.
- Daredevil Foodie snackers also live in cities like Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Miami and L.A.
- A preference for sweets came in third, particularly in Texas and Michigan. Sweet Tooth snackers love candy and cookies, but two in five still choose potato chips as a top snack they bring to a party.
- And in last, only 9 percent of Americans admit to being the Last-Minute Friend who stops at the grocery store en route to the party. But their most popular snack to pick up? One out of four say popcorn. They're also most likely to live in Illinois.
"While the flavors and types of snacks people go for can vary, snacks bring people together. This National Snack Day, we hope all Americans can take a minute to enjoy their favorites with friends and family," Williams added.
For more information, visit: FritoLay.com/SnackIndex.
Frito-Lay North America partnered with Morning Consult to field the Frito-Lay North America U.S. Snack Index nationally. This poll was conducted from January 8-9, 2019, among a national sample of more than 2,200 adults. The interviews were conducted online and the data were weighted to approximate a target sample based on age, race/ethnicity, gender, educational attainment and region. Results from the full survey have a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.
About Frito-Lay North America
Frito-Lay North America is the $15 billion convenient foods division of PepsiCo, Inc. (NASDAQ: PEP), which is headquartered in Purchase, NY. Learn more about Frito-Lay at the corporate website, http://www.fritolay.com/, the Snack Chat blog, http://www.snacks.com/ and on Twitter, http://www.twitter.com/fritolay.
PepsiCo products are enjoyed by consumers more than one billion times a day in more than 200 countries and territories around the world. PepsiCo generated more than $64 billion in net revenue in 2018, driven by a complementary food and beverage portfolio that includes Frito-Lay, Gatorade, Pepsi-Cola, Quaker and Tropicana. PepsiCo's product portfolio includes a wide range of enjoyable foods and beverages, including 22 brands that generate more than $1 billion each in estimated annual retail sales.
Guiding PepsiCo is our vision to Be the Global Leader in Convenient Foods and Beverages by Winning with Purpose. "Winning with Purpose" reflects our ambition to win sustainably in the marketplace and embed purpose into all aspects of the business. For more information, visit www.pepsico.com.
SOURCE Frito-Lay North America