Pita Chip Apple Crisp with Sweet Cream Sauce
Submitted by Ree, author behind Confessions of a Pioneer Woman. A mother and pioneer from the frontier, Ree shares her flavor of country and STACY'S® Pita Chips bi-weekly here and on her site.
18-24 ounces STACY'S® Cinnamon Sugar Flavored Pita Chips
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, melted
4 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and sliced very thinly
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup quick oats
2 tablespoons wheat germ (optional)
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoons apple brandy (optional)
1. Crush half the pita chips and place in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch pan. Drizzle 1/3 of the butter over the top.
2. Mix apple slices with the nutmeg, salt, and ½ cup of brown sugar. Pour apples over layer of pita chips.
3. Crush remaining pita chips in the bag and pour crushed chips over the apples.
4. Drizzle 1/3 of the butter over the top layer of chips. Sprinkle remaining brown sugar over the top layer of chips.
5. Sprinkle on oats and wheat germ, if using. Drizzle on remaining butter.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. While apple crisp is baking, make the cream sauce. Place all sauce ingredients into a small skillet or saucepan and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, or until sauce is reduced.
8. Spoon apple crisp into a bowl. Generously drizzle warm sauce over the top and serve immediately.