Mac & Cheese Carbonara with Potato Chip Crust
In this recipe, gluten free mac and cheese gets an added crunch with LAY'S® Classic Potato Chips.
16 oz. dried gluten free macaroni pasta
6 slices peppered or regular bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
1 large shallot, minced
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
(1) 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups LAY'S® Classic Potato Chips, coarsely crushed
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions and drain well.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until it begins to brown, but not crisp.
4. Add shallot and garlic and cook 2 minutes.
5. Add mushrooms and peas. Cook until mushrooms become tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
6. Combine Cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese in a large bowl.
7. Stir in warm pasta and bacon mixture.
8. In a medium bowl or measuring cup, combine milk, egg, parsley, salt and pepper.
9. Pour milk mixture over pasta mixture and stir until well-combined.
10. Pour pasta mixture into a 13x9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
11. Combine potato chips and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese in a medium bowl. Sprinkle mixture over pasta.
12. Bake for 18 minutes or until mixture is bubbly. Be careful that Parmesan cheese in crust doesn't brown excessively (tent with foil if cheese begins to get too brown.)
Recipe created by:
Gretchen Brown, RD of Kumquat - www.kumquatblog.com
Disclosure: This recipe is designed to be gluten free. Frito-Lay is not liable or responsible for the outcome of any recipes from this website, as the ingredients used cannot be controlled nor can the environment where the recipe is made. Please click here for the full list of Frito-Lay’s qualified gluten free products.