FRITOS® Southwest Enchilada Black Bean Gordita
2 cups white masa + 1 cup for dredging
2.5 cups + (have 1 extra cup for reserve) warm water
2 tsp. salt
1 can FRITOS® Southwest Enchilada Black Bean Dip
1. Combine first quantity of water with 1st quantity masa and salt in a bowl by hand until completely saturated and blended. It should resemble extremely stiff mash potatoes or soft playdough.
2. Divide dough into 12 balls on a tray, cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.
3. Work with two balls at a time, shape each one into a thick disc, using a rolling pin, and dredge both sides of the disc with dry masa and roll out to ¼ of an inch thin. You may add more water as you work with the dough if it begins to dry out.
4. Make a wet ring around the center of the bottom base and place one tablespoon of cold or room temperature FRITOS® Southwest Enchilada Black Bean Dip in the center of the circle.
5. Place the second rolled out masa on the top pressing gently on the center once and firmly pressing the top dough onto the circular wet portion of the bottom dough ensuring that there is little air between the layers, much like ravioli. This will prevent the gorditas from exploding during the frying process.
6. Using a 3” round cutter, center the gordita and cut out a circular “pie,” using the side of your thumb with the tip facing the center, make continuous indentions all around the gordita to create a fluted appearance.
7. Deep fry the gorditas at 350 degrees for approx. 6 minutes or until golden.
8. Serve with a side of your favorite TOSTITOS® Medium Chunky Salsa.