At Frito-Lay, we strive to put Reduce, Reuse and Recycle into action, and by doing so, dramatically reduce the amount of waste we create to make, move and sell our snacks. One great example of how we're Reducing, Reusing and Recycling is our efforts with shipping cartons. By reusing the cases in which we pack our chips for delivery five or six times each, we're using 120,000 tons less paperboard a year than before. Once the cartons are no longer usable, they are recycled.
Did you know? You can recycle many components of Frito-Lay snack packaging:
- Dip cans - may be recycled in communities where aluminum is recycled
- Outer lid of dip can - may be recycled with other plastics
- Inner steel lid of dip can - may be recycled where steel items are recycled
- Salsa and dip jars - may be recycled as clear glass
- Salsa and dip jar lids - may be recycled where steel items are recycled
- LAY'S STAX® can and lid - may be recycled with other plastics
Because we are committed to decreasing the amount of solid waste we produce, we have made some changes to decrease the amount of packaging material in your favorite snacks:
LAY'S® and RUFFLES® potato chips, once packaged in composite plastic bags, now are packaged in metallized plastic bags. This resulted in a 25% reduction of weight in the packaging material used for these two products and a reduction of more than 6 million pounds of packaging material per year from being placed in landfills.
FRITOS® corn chips has reduced the bag seal from the industry standard ½ inch to ¼ inch. This adjustment has resulted in a 5% reduction in FRITOS® packaging material from our landfills each year.